Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

A View of the Bishop's House with the Ruins, as They Appear in Going up the Hill from the Lower to the Upper Town (Québec, Québec, 1759) Open in full size

A View of the Bishop's House with the Ruins, as They Appear in Going up the Hill from the Lower to the Upper Town (Québec, Québec, 1759)

Picture, 1761, English

A View of the Bishop's House with the Ruins, as They Appear in Going up the Hill from the Lower to the Upper Town (Québec, Québec, 1759)

Picture, 1761, English

Notes

Inscribed in the plate, l.l.: A View of the Bishops House with the Ruins, as they appear / in going up the Hill from the Lower, to the Upper Town.; l.c.: [crest]; l.r.: Vue du Palais Episcopal et de ses ruines, comme elles / paroissent sur la montagne, depuis la Basse Ville.; b.: Drawn on the SPOT by Richard Short. Engraved by A. Benoist. / Septr 1st 1761. Publish'd according to Act of Parliament by R. Short and Sold by T. Jefferys the Corner of St. Martins Lane Charing Cross. No. 10 of ''Twelve Views of the Principal Buildings in Quebec" published by Short in 1761 (Accs. JRR 2048-51, 2057-64; a second set Accs. X 76-36 to 39, 41-48). A wrapper to the set is illustrated in Spendlove, pl. 3. Another impression, Acc. JRR 2061; on laid paper; view keyed (c.1910) in pen and black ink, 1-4, to key, b.; JRR(1912) 171. Acc. D 2-97b is a photograph, 189-?, of an impression in British Library (Map Library, K. Top. CXIX.39a.7). deVolpi 22; Spendlove pp. 8-9 & pl. 14. NOV 9 1988

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Etching on laid paper

Extent

325 x 507; 366 x 532 (trimmed within plate-mark, l.r.); 395 x 550 mm

Contributor

Short, Richard, fl. 1747-1766, attributed to Serres, Dominic, 1722-1793, after

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Baldwin Collection

Call Number / Accession Number

X 76-45 Cab IV (Short)