Beach Hebrew Institute, Kenilworth Avenue, east side, south of Queen Street East, Toronto, Ont. Open in full size

Beach Hebrew Institute, Kenilworth Avenue, east side, south of Queen Street East, Toronto, Ont.

Picture, 1919, English

Beach Hebrew Institute, Kenilworth Avenue, east side, south of Queen Street East, Toronto, Ont.

Picture, 1919, English

Notes

Beach Hebrew Institute, 109 Kenilworth Avenue, east side, south of Queen Street East, Toronto, Ont.
Photograph published in the Toronto Star, 20 November 1919, page 8.
Used as Kenilworth Avenue Baptist Church, 1895-1908, Queen Street East southeast corner of Kenilworth Avenue; Kenilworth Hall, ca 1911-1919, when the building was moved south to its present location; Beach Hebrew Institute, 1919-present (2018).

Caption:

Jewish synagogue and school at Kew Beach. Kenilworth Hall has been purchased by the Beach Hebrews, and the building will be converted into a Jewish place of worship and educational institution. Large sums of money have already been spent by the Jews in this district, the remodelling and redecoratation of Kenilworth Hall alone costing between eight thousand and ten thousand dollars. The school contained in the building will be the chief Jewish Educational Institution in the Beach district, while the syngagogue will be the religious centre of the community. Kenilworth Hall is situated on the corner of Kenilworth avenue and Queen street.

Rights and Licenses

Toronto Star License

Provenance

From the Toronto Star Archives

File Location:

Canada - Ontario - Toronto - Churches - Jewish

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Baldwin Collection

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Toronto Star Photo Archive

Call Number / Accession Number

tspa_0111006f