Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

Customs examining warehouse to go. Above is a photograph of the old customs examining warehouse; built in 1872 and still in operation; which has been sold by the department of public works at Ottawa to Teperman and Sons; wrecking contractors; who will tear the old building down on September 15 and onwards.The customs business now being carried on in the building will be moved to the new Union Station pending the erection of Toronto's new customs house. The land prior to its purchase by the crown in 1872 belonged to Chancellor Oliver Mowat; and before him to the city. Below is shown the ancient doorway of the building and above a stone which bears the date of erection. Open in full size

Customs examining warehouse to go. Above is a photograph of the old customs examining warehouse; built in 1872 and still in operation; which has been sold by the department of public works at Ottawa to Teperman and Sons; wrecking contractors; who will tear the old building down on September 15 and onwards.The customs business now being carried on in the building will be moved to the new Union Station pending the erection of Toronto's new customs house. The land prior to its purchase by the crown in 1872 belonged to Chancellor Oliver Mowat; and before him to the city. Below is shown the ancient doorway of the building and above a stone which bears the date of erection.

Picture, 1927, English

Customs examining warehouse to go. Above is a photograph of the old customs examining warehouse; built in 1872 and still in operation; which has been sold by the department of public works at Ottawa to Teperman and Sons; wrecking contractors; who will tear the old building down on September 15 and onwards.The customs business now being carried on in the building will be moved to the new Union Station pending the erection of Toronto's new customs house. The land prior to its purchase by the crown in 1872 belonged to Chancellor Oliver Mowat; and before him to the city. Below is shown the ancient doorway of the building and above a stone which bears the date of erection.

Picture, 1927, English

Rights and Licenses

Toronto Star License

Provenance

From the Toronto Star Archives

File Location:

Canada - Ontario - Toronto - Buildings - Customs

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Baldwin Collection

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Toronto Star Photo Archive

Call Number / Accession Number

tspa_0109947f