Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

Open in full size

"The Stewart Girls" as they are known at the plant, look over a shell which they helped make. Mrs. Stewart holds the fuse end; she is supervisor in the fuse filling shop. Barbara is supervisor in the primer filling shop.

Picture, 1943, English

"The Stewart Girls" as they are known at the plant, look over a shell which they helped make. Mrs. Stewart holds the fuse end; she is supervisor in the fuse filling shop. Barbara is supervisor in the primer filling shop.

Picture, 1943, English

Notes

Published in Toronto Daily Star, 8 March 1943, page 17, with article "Mothers And Daughters Produce Shells For Their Fighting Men to Fire".
The 364 acre Geco complex extended South from Eglinton Avenue East to present-day Hymus Road, between Warden Avenue and Birchmount Road, and consisted of 172 buildings. (43.724781, -79.282701)

Rights and Licenses

Toronto Star License

Provenance

From the Toronto Star Archives

File Location:

War 1939 Munitions - Manufacture - Canada - Ontario

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Baldwin Collection

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Toronto Star Photo Archive

Call Number / Accession Number

tspa_0019006f