Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

Miss McCarthy wed in Mohawk chapel Open in full size

Miss McCarthy wed in Mohawk chapel

Picture, 1928, English

Miss McCarthy wed in Mohawk chapel

Picture, 1928, English

Caption:

The setting of the Hogg-McCarthy wedding which took place recently in Brantford was an unusual one. The church, which is shown above, was the little old Indian church. His Majesty's Chapel of the Mohawks, two miles outside of Brantford, built in 1785, as a result of Haldimand's pledge "A church shall be built whenever the Mohawks shall settle and a clergyman be established for them." It was presented by King George the third, to the Mohawks and had as its first lay official Col. Titus Williams, a great-great-grandfather of the bride. The bride, Miss Mary Vourneen McCarthy, is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Overn McCarthy of Brantford, her marriage taking place to Mr. William Cecil Hogg of Pittsburg, on Saturday last.

Publisher

Toronto Star

Rights and Licenses

Toronto Star License

Provenance

From the Toronto Star Archives

File Location:

G2--Canada-Ontario-Brantford-Historic (Old Pix 1920-1930)

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Baldwin Collection

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Toronto Star Photo Archive

Call Number / Accession Number

TS-2-124-GO-238