Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

Dempsey Brothers Store Open in full size

Dempsey Brothers Store

Picture, 1955,

Dempsey Brothers Store

Picture, 1955,

Notes

Lot 16, Con. 1 west. Dempsey Brothers Store, on the north west corner of Sheppard Avnue and Yonge Street. Built by the Shepards in 1860, the store was bought by George and William Dempsey in 1923, and later taken over by George’s sons Bob and Jim. While the first floor held the hardware store, the upper storeys were renovated into apartments for the Dempseys’ families in the 1930s. After being sold in 1989, the store spent a brief period as a dollar store. Later, the building was given to the municipality of North York, moved to Beecroft Park, and restored as it was in the Shepards’ day to house the North York Archives. Amalgamation of the City of Toronto led to another brief period of disuse when the archives moved downtown, but today the building houses the Beecroft Education Centre.

Rights and Licenses

Copyright © Toronto Public Library

Medium

Negative

Extent

60 x 60 mm

Branch

North York Central Library

Location

Local History Reference

Call Number / Accession Number

TC 24