Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

Residence of Sir Richard Bonnycastle (Toronto) in 1840 Open in full size

Residence of Sir Richard Bonnycastle (Toronto) in 1840

Residence of Sir Richard Bonnycastle (Toronto) in 1840

Notes

Inscribed in pen & ink, mount b.: Residence of Sir Richard Bonnycastle 1840 on S.W. corner of Front and Peter Sts., on Bay shore, for years the Offices of Royal Engineers. / Vol. II. P. 676.; mount l.l. (key; trimmed): [Ro]ad leading to the / Bay Shore.; mount l.r. (identifying site of tree c.r.; trimmed): N.W. Corner of Front [&] / Peter Sts.
Reproduced in 'Landmarks of Toronto' v.2, opp. p. 676, before having been trimmed, showing inscription l.l.: Col. Bonycastle's Residence in 1836. / Front St. west. between. Peter &. John Sts / New. Fort. in the. Distance.
The house was occupied successively by Col. N. Coffin, Capt. G. Phillpotts, Bonnycastle, and Raymond Baby, and was also used as the Royal Engineers office.
View keyed in pen & ink, l.l. (referring to inscription mount l.l.): X

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Pen & ink over blue pencil. Laid down on scrapbook page

Extent

198 x 422 mm

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Baldwin Collection

Call Number / Accession Number

B 1-16