Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

The Railroad Suspension Bridge near Niagara Falls. Open in full size

The Railroad Suspension Bridge near Niagara Falls.

Picture, 1856, English

The Railroad Suspension Bridge near Niagara Falls.

Picture, 1856, English

Notes

Inscribed on the stone, l.l.: JOHN A. ROEBLING ESQRE ENGINEER.; l.r.: C. PARSONS DEL.; b.: Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1856 by N. Currier in the Clerks Office of the District Court of the Southern District of New York. / THE RAILROAD SUSPENSION BRIDGE. / Near Niagara Falls. / Length of Bridge 822 feet. Height above Water 240 feet. / NEW YORK, PUBLISHED BY N. CURRIER 152 NASSAU STREET
Opened in 1855, the bridge was replaced in 1897 by the Whirlpool Rapids bridge on the same site. Former frame stored separately. JRR(1912) 441

Publisher

CURRIER, NATHANIEL (firm), New York

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Lithograph with yellowish grey tintstone and water colour on wove paper

Extent

295 x 390 mm. (with text); sheet 340 x 451 mm

Contributor

ROEBLING, JOHN AUGUSTUS (American, 1806-1869)|Builder

Call Number / Accession Number

JRR 219 Cab II