Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

Pupils and teachers outside Newtonbrook schoolhouse, School Section No. 5 Open in full size

Pupils and teachers outside Newtonbrook schoolhouse, School Section No. 5

Picture, 1898,

Pupils and teachers outside Newtonbrook schoolhouse, School Section No. 5

Picture, 1898,

Notes

Lot 22, Con. 1 West. In 1878 the fourth schoolhouse of the village of Newtonbrook opened at 43 Drewry Avenue. The red brick building included a single mixed-grade classroom and living quarters for the teacher. It was a school until 1928, then sold in 1930 to the Newtonbrook Gospel Mission. The building was demolished in 1997. Inscription on slate in front: "Newton Brook School. Miss T.M. Rutherford, Teacher, Sept. 19th 1898."

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Negative

Extent

92 x 58 mm

Provenance

Toronto Public Library. North York Central Library. Canadiana Department. Gift of North York Historical Society.

Branch

North York Central Library

Location

Local History Reference

Call Number / Accession Number

NYHS01489