Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

O’Sullivan’s Corners with O’Sullivan’s Hotel in centre background Open in full size

O’Sullivan’s Corners with O’Sullivan’s Hotel in centre background

Picture, 192-,

O’Sullivan’s Corners with O’Sullivan’s Hotel in centre background

Picture, 192-,

Notes

Lot 14, Con. 4 East. Patrick O'Sullivan, from Cork, Ireland, and his wife Ann opened a two-storey hotel in 1860 with two bedrooms, dining room, and a bar (seen centre background in this photo). It stood on the northwest corner of Victoria Park Ave. and Lansing Cut-off (later Sheppard Ave.). Their son Michael opened a post office in the hotel in 1892, when the area had become known as O'Sullivan's Corners. In 1948 the Northeast Drive-in theatre opened nearby, and the hotel was demolished around 1954, shortly before construction of Highway 401 to its south.

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Negative

Extent

117 x 68 mm

Provenance

Toronto Public Library. North York Central Library. Canadiana Department. Gift of North York Historical Society.

Branch

North York Central Library

Location

Local History Reference

Call Number / Accession Number

NYHS01204