Devins homestead Open in full size

Devins homestead

Picture, 1902,

Devins homestead

Picture, 1902,

Notes

Lot 20, Con. 6 West. Finch Ave. Devins home. Finch, south side near Weston Rd. The Devins family was the first to settle in Emery, when Isaac Devins (a U. E. Loyalist from Pennsylvania) arrived in 1795, after working with Governor Simcoe as a superintendent on the construction of Yonge St. He is credited with building the first saw mill on the Humber in the same year. His son John R. Devins was the father of John C. and Isaac Jr., who owned a carriage shop and blacksmith shop at the crossroads of Weston and Finch. Isaac Sr. lived in this house in 1804, and his descendants lived there until at least the 1960s. No longer standing.

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Negative

Extent

65 x 88 mm

Provenance

Toronto Public Library. North York Central Library. Canadiana Department. Gift of North York Historical Society.

Call Number / Accession Number

NYHS00648