Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

Newtonbrook School Section No. 5 fourth schoolhouse Open in full size

Newtonbrook School Section No. 5 fourth schoolhouse

Picture, Unkn,

Newtonbrook School Section No. 5 fourth schoolhouse

Picture, Unkn,

Notes

Lot 22, Con. 1 West. In 1878 the fourth schoolhouse of the village of Newtonbrook opened at 43 Drewry Avenue. The red brick building included a single mixed-grade classroom and living quarters for the teacher. It was a school until 1928, when the four-room Drewry Public School opened on the north side of the street. Sold in 1930 to the Newtonbrook Gospel Mission, the building was demolished in 1997.

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Negative

Extent

37 x 35 mm

Provenance

Toronto Public Library. North York Central Library. Canadiana Department. Gift of North York Historical Society.

Branch

North York Central Library

Location

Local History Reference

Call Number / Accession Number

NYHS00336