Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

A view of the Bishop's House with the Ruins as They Appear in Going Down the Hill from the Upper to the Lower Town. Quebec, Quebec, 1759 Open in full size

A view of the Bishop's House with the Ruins as They Appear in Going Down the Hill from the Upper to the Lower Town. Quebec, Quebec, 1759

A view of the Bishop's House with the Ruins as They Appear in Going Down the Hill from the Upper to the Lower Town. Quebec, Quebec, 1759

Notes

Acc. C 1-71c is a photograph, 190-?, of Acc. X 76-38.
Another impression, Acc. X 76-38; on laid paper.
Inscribed in the plate, l.l.: A View of the Bishop's House with the Ruins as they appear in going down/ the Hill, from the Upper to the Lower Town.; l.c.: [crest]; l.r.: Vue du Palais Episcopal et de ses Ruines, ainsi qu'elles paroissent en / descendant a la Basse Ville.; l.c.: Drawn on the SPOT by Richd. Short, Engraved by J. Fougeron. / London Publish'd according to Act of Parliament Sepr. l. 1761, by Richd. Short, & Sold by Thos. Jefferys the Corner of St. Martins Lane.
JRR(1912) 177
No. 11 of Twelve Views of the Principal Buildings in Quebec published by Short in 1761 (Accs. JRR 2048-51, 2057-64; a second set Accs. X 76-36 to 39, 41-48). A wrapper to the set in illustrated in Spendlove, pl. 3
Nov 9 1988
deVolpi 17; Spendlove pp. 8-9 & pl 13.

Publisher

R. Short (Quebec, Quebec)

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Etching on laid paper

Extent

320 x 509; 366 x 530; 438 x 591 mm

Provenance

Gift of J. Ross Robertson

Contributor

Serres, Dominic, 1722-1793 after, Short, Richard, English, fl. 1747-1766

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Baldwin Collection

Call Number / Accession Number

JRR 2050 Cab IV (Short)