Skip Navigation

Digital Archive Ontario

Current and historical content, curated by Toronto Public Library

Gordon, Mackay & Co. Limited, Toronto

Gordon, Mackay & Co. Limited, Toronto

eBook, 1914, English

Notes

Missing front cover. Gordon Mackay & Company was a retail/wholesale dry goods business operating throughout Canada. It was established in 1853, by two Scotsmen, John Gordon and his uncle Donald Mackay, who formed a partnership for the wholesale distribution of dry goods in the City of Hamilton, Canada West. The company was called Gordon, Mackay & Company. In 1859, the company moved to Toronto, first locating at Wellington Street East, and then at the corner of Bay and Front Streets. In 1899 the company was incorporated as Gordon, Mackay & Co. Limited. The great fire of 1904 in Toronto destroyed the Gordon Mackay warehouse. The first retail store was acquired in 1911, and over the next 50 years other stores were added. The more notable retail stores developed include Smith's of Windsor and the Walker Stores chain of department stores. By the early 1960s Gordon Mackay had converted all of its wholesale business to retail. All of these stores closed gradually over the next two decades.

Publisher

Toronto : The Company

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Extent

63 p. ; 27.5 cm x 20 cm

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Humanities and Social Sciences

Call Number / Accession Number

391.10294 G HSS