Carnegie Library - Yorkville

Address: 22 Yorkville Avenue
Architect: Robert McCallum, City Architect
Opened: 1907, June 13

Yorkville Branch Library opened on June 13, 1907, in what was then the city's north end. It was the first of four libraries constructed with a $350,000 grant made by Andrew Carnegie to the Toronto Public Library in 1903. Designed by Robert McCallum, City Architect, Yorkville's classical, Beaux Arts style is similar to libraries in many smaller Ontario communities. It features two pairs of columns, a projected portico, Doric capitals, a bracketed cornice, and stone quoins, band courses and keystones. Yorkville is now the Toronto Public Library's oldest library.

Major Alterations

1978 Renovation and addition by Barton Myers Associates.

Heritage Status

1973 Listed on Inventory of Heritage Properties, adopted by Toronto City Council, June 20.