Toronto Public Library Homepage

Carnegie Library - Western (now Annette Street)

Address: 145 Annette St.
Architect: Ellis & Connery
Opened: 1909, September 1

The Toronto Junction Library Board was awarded a Carnegie grant of $20,000 on April 6, 1908. Ellis & Connery, a local architectural firm, designed the library with features of Edwardian Classicism. Clad with orange-red brick and embellished with Ohio sandstone, the library features Corinthian columns, a projecting entrance block with a parapet, and stone quoins, cornice, band courses and keystones. Before the building was completed, the City of West Toronto was annexed to Toronto. The library opened on September 1, 1909 as Western Branch (now Annette Street) of the Toronto Public Library. The branch was renamed Annette Street in 1962.

Major Alterations

1917 Children's room opened in the basement.
1962 Renovation; reopened 14 April.
1980 Renovation and addition by Sillaste & Nakashima Architects. Reopened 9 June.

Heritage Status

1998 Listed by Heritage Toronto as historical property, 1 October.