Carnegie Library - Western (now Annette Street), 1910

One condition of a Carnegie library grant was that the community was to provide the building site. In June 1908, the Toronto Junction Library Board paid $2,000 to purchase two and one-half lots for the city’s1 new library. Board chair Allan Berlin Rice enthusiastically described the land in his 22 July 1908 letter to Andrew Carnegie:

The site is centrally located on Annette Street which parallels Dundas Street, our chief Business thoroughfare. Most of the Churches are on Annette Street and one of the finest of these, Victoria Presbyterian Church is on the opposite corner. Immediately west of our site has been bought for a Masonic Temple which will be a fine building. Our site has a frontage of 90 feet on Annette Street by 85 feet on Medland Street. The Citizens are unanimous in the opinion that we have secured the best location for the purpose in the City.2

On 6 October 1908, the library board paid another $675 to acquire an additional 32- x 85- foot lot immediately west of their original purchase. This farsighted purchase provided a site for an addition to the library seven decades later.

1"West Toronto's new Public Library," Construction, September 1909, 64.
2Ibid.