Most items that you borrow can be renewed two or three times as long as there are sufficient copies available.
Each renewal extends the due date by the same length of time as you originally borrowed the item for, e.g. an additional 21 days for most books, an additional 7 days for most DVDs. See the complete list of loan periods.
|Item||Number of times you can renew||Longest you can keep the item|
|Best Bets||2||9 weeks|
|DVDs and Videos||2||3 weeks|
|DVD TV Series||2||6 weeks|
|New release Feature DVDs||0||1 week|
|Language Learning DVDs and Videos (including Literacy)||2||9 weeks|
|Periodicals or magazines||2||3 weeks|
|Music scores||2||9 weeks|
|Musical instruments||2||9 weeks|
|Picture collections||3||12 weeks|
|Digital Equipment||Based on availability|
The renewal period starts on the day you renew an item, not the original date the item was due. We recommend that you not wait until the last minute before trying to renew an item in case it can't be renewed for any reason. You are still responsible for any late fees if an item cannot be renewed and is returned late.
How to renew items
- Sign in to Your Account.
- Click on the Checkouts tab.
- Check the boxes beside the items you would like to renew.
- Click the Renew Selected Items button.
- Call the telephone renewals line at 416-395-5505, anytime between 8 a.m. and 3 a.m.
- Use the online catalogue in any branch or ask staff
Why you may not be able to renew an item
- you have already renewed the item the maximum number of times
- it is a popular item with a waiting list and no available copies
- it is a popular item with a waiting list and the "available" copies are not copies that can fill holds (e.g. they are Reference or Best Bets copies)
- it is a new feature DVD or part of a Book Club Set
- it was borrowed through Interlibrary Loan
- it is a Museum & Arts Pass
- your library card has expired
Need More Help?
- Call your local branch, or
- Call Answerline at 416-393-7131