Leading to Reading Volunteers
About the Program
Leading to Reading is a literacy-based program that assists children in Grades 1-6 who are struggling with reading.
Through the assistance of volunteers the Leading to Reading program strives to turn reading and learning into a fun and positive experience. The program relies heavily on the assistance of volunteers. Volunteers admitted to the program are paired off with a child who they meet with once a week, for an hour, at the library. Under the supervision and guidance of Leading to Reading staff, the volunteer assists the child with further developing their reading skills.
Volunteering with this program can be an extremely rewarding experience for both the volunteer and the child they work with. Helping children to gain experience and confidence in their reading ability will have a far reaching and lifelong impact on the child. It will also provide volunteers with a sense of achievement that they have helped their community. Volunteering with Leading to Reading is about giving your skills, time and energy freely and with enthusiasm.
Please note that volunteer hours gained by volunteering with this program qualify towards the forty hours community service graduation requirement for Ontario High School students.
To qualify as a volunteer with the Leading to Reading program the following qualifications are required:
- speak and write English fluently
- relate and communicate well with children
- work independently
- act as a mature role model for reading
- upon acceptance as a volunteer with the program, training will be provided. It is mandatory that all volunteers attend the training session
Your Responsibilities as a Volunteer
As a Leading to Reading Volunteer you will be required to:
- meet with your assigned child at the library for a one hour weekly scheduled session
- motivate and encourage them to read
- read together, as well as play reading-related games and activities
- help improve their reading skills
- take notes on each weekly session
- report to program staff as well as parents/guardians about the child's progress
Leading to Reading operates in the following branches within the Toronto Public Library System:
- Albert Campbell
- Dawes Road
- Dufferin/St. Clair
- Evelyn Gregory
- Flemingdon Park
- Highland Creek
- Humber Summit
Volunteer Application Form
To begin the application process please fill out an application form and submit it in person at your nearest local branch.
Please note: The volunteer Application process will take approximately three (3) months to complete.
For more information about the program and/or becoming a Volunteer, contact:
- East of Yonge Street
- Telephone: 416-396-3589
- Email: email@example.com
- West of Yonge Street
- Telephone: 416-394-5015
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org