Get small business help from the library's new Entrepreneur in Residence, Sima Gandhi.
About Sima Gandhi
Sima was raised in an entrepreneurial family and started her career in the family business of manufacturing commercial lighting at Solera Corp. She has a varied background in private sector startups, spanning several industries including manufacturing, education and construction. The Skylar Project was a social purpose business Sima was involved in, with the objective of building sustainable housing solutions in emerging economies.
As part of the business acceleration team of MaRS’ Entrepreneurship Programs, Sima facilitated and managed relationships with Regional Innovation Centres and Campus Linked Accelerators to make MaRS educational content and experiential workshops accessible. Most recently, Sima founded riince, designing and manufacturing an innovative kitchen utensil addressing the changes in social norms towards eating environmentally friendly proteins and superseeds.
Sima holds a degree in International Relations from the University of Toronto, is a member of Founder Institute and Founder Dating.
Apply to meet with Sima Gandhi for one-on-one help on your small business plan or idea:
Submit a two page outline of your proposed business idea or plan by answering the following questions:
- Tell us about your business idea, service or product in 1-2 paragraphs. Who is your customer? What need are you fulfilling?
- What is your vision and mission and how does this fit into your personal goal?
- What experience and knowledge do you have in the area you are interested?
- Do you have a plan or strategy?
- Please indicate the top two areas where you need help the most now:
- Market research for your idea, service or product
- Promotion & marketing
- Social media and online know-how
- Financial fundamentals
- What are the qualities and characteristics of an entrepreneur?
Please include any questions for Sima Gandhi not covered in the above.
Note: An application does not guarantee a meeting. Applicants will be selected based on the strength of their submission and the total number of applicants that can be scheduled. Applications will not be returned, but will be confidentially deleted if a meeting is not scheduled.
- Sima Gandhi will review your submission and meet with a select number of applicants to review their plans, provide feedback and recommendations, and point out available resources that may be beneficial. Each meeting is a 30-45 minute one-on-one session at no cost.
- Deadline: October 31, 2016
- Attach your 2 page outline as a PDF file
- Complete, save and attach this User Agreement Form (PDF)
- Meetings are by appointment only and will be arranged by library staff to take place at Toronto Reference Library or North York Central Library. In the email, include your contact information and preferred meeting location.
For further information, contact the Business, Science & Technology at Toronto Reference Library: 416-393-7149