Toronto Public Library Homepage

Taylor Memorial

1440 Kingston Road, Toronto, ON
M1N 1R3

416-396-8939

Branch Hours
Day Opening Time Closing Time
Monday Closed
Tuesday 12:30 p.m. 8:30 p.m.
Wednesday 10:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.
Thursday 12:30 p.m. 8:30 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Sunday Closed

Directions


Closest major intersection Kingston Road and Warden Ave. Located at northwest corner of Kingston Road and Warden Ave.

Public Transit


TTC Kingston Road bus #12 from Victoria Park subway station.
TTC Warden bus #69 from Warden subway station.

Parking


Free - parking for 4 cars including 1 disabled. Also street parking. Parking on northeast side of Kingston Road in laneway north of TD CanadaTrust parking lot.


Map


Map to library branch

Features


General Features

  • Book Discussion Group: contact the branch for more information
  • Book Drop - 24 Hours
  • Express Checkout
  • Pedometer Lending
  • Reading Garden
  • Seating for 39

Equipment for persons with disabilities

  • Computer with screen magnification software (Zoomtext)
  • Large print keyboard
  • Magnifiers - hand held or stand

Technology

Collections

  • Audiobooks on CD
  • Large Print Collection

Branch History


Year Details
1920 Birch Cliff Library Association is organized, 4 December. The library was spearheaded by Mrs. Ellen E. Reece, the first principal of Birch Cliff School (Scarborough Township School Section 15), which opened in 1916 on Kingston Road at the southwest corner of Birch Cliff Avenue). She also was the inaugural president of the Birch Cliff Home and School Association, established in February 1920. The first Library Board included “a clergyman, a merchant, [and] community-minded women.” (Ontario Library Review, 23, February 1939, 24)
1921 A public library is opened in a room in Birch Cliff Public School, probably in the four-room addition built in 1919. Serving a population of 1,962 residents, at the end of its first year of operation, the Birch Cliff Library Association has a collection of 572 volumes that circulate 1,420 times. Its total expenditure is $483.19, with $384.59 spent on books. Operated by volunteers, the library’s revenue includes membership fees, a provincial legislative grant of $78.87 and $320 raised by the Birch Cliff Home and School Association. (Ontario, Report of the Inspector of Public Libraries, 1922)
1925 Children’s books are added. (Birch Cliff Public School History, 1966)
1938 Birch Cliff Library Association moves the library to an annex building of Birch Cliff Public School supplied by the trustees of School Section 15, Scarborough Township (Birch Cliff) “for the sole use of the [library’s] members.” (Ontario Library Review, 23, February 1939, 25)
1944 Birch Cliff Library Association makes its last report to the Ontario Minister of Education. In 1943, its final year of operation, the library had 115 borrowers (in a population of 3,709 residents), 3,037 volumes that circulated 2,384 times, was open 3.5 hours per week, spent $104.78 and received a legislative grant of $55.37. “The library vacated the school in 1944 and since then, the Home and School has provided the excellent collection in the basement for the pupils’ use.” (Birch Cliff Public School History, 1966)
1961 “Mr. F. Taylor has made an offer of his property at [the southwest corner of] Kingston Road and Warden Avenue to the Library Board for library use as a memorial to his wife.” (Scarborough Public Library Board [SPLB] Minutes, 28 September 1961). “Resolved that the Library Board enter into an agreement to lease from Mr. Fred Taylor the property at Warden Avenue and Kingston Road at $100.00 per month, subject to the right to purchase at any time within that period at approximately $17,400. . . On purchase of this property it is to be understood that the library in this location will be known as the Florence Taylor Memorial Library. … Carried. (SPLB Minutes, 2 November 1961). “Resolved that subject to a satisfactory agreement being drawn up with Mr. Taylor for the acquisition of his property …. an expenditure of $30,000 to cover the cost of purchase and renovation of Mr. Taylor’s property … Carried.” (SPLB Minutes, 2 November 1961). Township of Scarborough By-Law Number 10234 “being a by-law to authorize the Reeve and Clerk to execute a Lease and Option to Purchase [from Fred Ibson Taylor] dated November 17, 1961, respecting 1440 Kingston Road to be used as a Branch Public Library...Read a First, Second and Third time and passed in open Council this 4th day of December, A. D. 1961.” “…arrangements have been completed with Mr. Fred Taylor for the rental of the property at Kingston Road and Warden Avenue as of December 1, 1961 and that application has been submitted to Metro Toronto and the Municipal Board for the approval of the acquisition of this property” (SPLB Minutes, 7 December 1961)
1962 “F. R (Fred) Barnes [has been] engaged to prepare the necessary specifications for tenders and supervise the work” (SPLB, Minutes, 1 March 1962). Fred Ibson Taylor is paid $16,368.14 for his property at 1440 Kingston Road, 29 March 1962. (SPLB Accounts, 29 March 1962). “The Secretary reported that drawings for the Taylor Library had been completed by Mr. Barnes, and tenders were let with a closing date of April 18, 1962. Also, a report from the Legal Department, dated April 2, 1962, advised of the transfer of title for 1440 Kingston Rd. to the Corporation of the Township of Scarborough dated 27th day of March 1962, Office of Land Title No. A89736.” (SPLB Minutes, 5 April 1962). Taylor Memorial Branch is opened by the Scarborough Public Library Board, 12 December “The Scarboro Lions club has donated $5,000 to furnish the reference room … The Lionettes of the same club have donated $1,000 to equip a basement room.” (Toronto Star, 7 December 1962, 2). The library is named for Florence McMillin Taylor. She was born in East Toronto on 29 March 1891, and married Fred Ibson Taylor (1890-1976) a merchant, in Toronto on 17 September 1915. In 1921, they moved to a new Arts and Crafts-style dwelling located on Kingston Road at the northwest corner of Warden Avenue. The house was built under the direction of Florence’s father, Andrew McMillian, whose firm, McMillin & Costain, were prominent local contractors. Florence died in 1954; Fred’s second wife, Kate M. Browning (d. 1999), suggested that the house be converted into a library in Florence’s memory.
1967 Scarborough Public Library Board announces on 10 April, that the Taylor Memorial Branch would be closed at the end of the month because of a $350,000 cut in its budget. Meeting strong community protest, Scarborough Council finds $67,000 in the general budget, which it will give to the Library Board, provided Taylor Memorial is not closed. (Globe and Mail, 13 April 1967, W2)
1984 Original branch is demolished. The large stained glass window called Blue Bird of Happiness and the fireplace, both originally from the Massey family’s home, Dentonia Park (Victoria Park-Dawes Road), are saved from the old house/library for the replacement building.
1985 Redeveloped branch is opened, May. Officially opened, June 24. Architect: A. M. Ingleson Associates. Recipient of an Urban Design Award, presented by the Scarborough Planning Board under the sponsorship of Scarborough Council.
1998 Becomes part of the Toronto Public Library with municipal amalgamation, 1 January.
2012 Taylor Memorial Branch celebrates its 50th anniversary with an open house on 18 September.

Meeting Rooms


For booking information call 416-397-5969.

Multi-purpose Room

  • 500 sq. ft.
  • Seats 40 lecture style. Seats 24 classroom style. Fire Code Occupancy: 46.
  • Equipment:
    • chairs
    • projection screen
    • tables
  • Wheelchair accessible

Directions


Closest major intersection Kingston Road and Warden Ave. Located at northwest corner of Kingston Road and Warden Ave.

Public Transit


Closest major intersection Kingston Road and Warden Ave. Located at northwest corner of Kingston Road and Warden Ave.

Parking


Free - parking for 4 cars including 1 disabled. Also street parking. Parking on northeast side of Kingston Road in laneway north of TD CanadaTrust parking lot.


Upcoming Events

Tue, Nov 11 - 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Tue, Nov 18 - 7:00 p.m. - 8:15 p.m.
Fri, Dec 05 - 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

Regular Programs

Wed, Oct 29 - 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Fri, Oct 31 - 10:30 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
Thu, Nov 06 - 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

All Branch Programs & Events