Toronto Public Library Homepage

Wychwood

1431 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON
M5R 3J2

416-393-7683

Branch Hours
Day Opening Time Closing Time
Monday 9:00 a.m. 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday 9:00 a.m. 8:30 p.m.
Wednesday 9:00 a.m. 8:30 p.m.
Thursday 9:00 a.m. 8:30 p.m.
Friday 9:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Sunday Closed

Directions


Closest major intersection Bathurst Street and St. Clair Ave. West. Located on east side of Bathurst Street, 1 block south of St. Clair Ave. West at Melgund Road.

Public Transit


TTC Bathurst bus # 7C from Bathurst subway station.
TTC St. Clair West subway station, walk west to Bathurst Street or take streetcar #512 westbound or Vaughan bus #90 from St. Clair West subway station.
TTC streetcar #512 westbound from St. Clair subway station (Yonge subway line).


Map


Map to library branch

Features


General Features

  • Book Discussion Group: Tea and Murder
  • Book Drop - After Hours
  • Express Checkout
  • Pedometer Lending
  • Public Phones (inside)
  • Seating for 42

Equipment for persons with disabilities

  • Computer(s) with screen magnification software (Zoomtext)

Technology

Collections

  • Adult Literacy Materials
  • Audiobooks on CD
  • Large Print Collection
  • Local History Collection

Language

  • Small collection in French

Branch History


Year Details
1883 Bracondale Post Office established on the southwest corner of Christie St. & Davenport Rd.; also known as Turner Hall named after Frank Turner founder of Bracondale and the first Postmaster. A small lending library was later housed here. The Deputy Postmaster (Edwin Charles Boggis) had a great interest in the library.
1898 Bracondale Public Library formally established, after May. "The Bracondale public library...was first started in the old tanning factory on Christie Street with Mr. W. Garrett as librarian. At first it took up but one room, which was loaned by J.E. Edwards & Co., owners of the factory, but it afterwards grew, calling in use another one." [Toronto Star, 14 September 1906]. The aformentioned John E. Edwards was former Deputy Postmaster of the Bracondale Post Office and a Bracondale Public Library Board member. Edwin Charles Boggis who became Deputy Postmaster of the Bracondale Post Office for 17 years, remained a Bracondale Public Library Board member from the very beginning until the last special meeting of the Bracondale Public Library Board in Hillcrest School on 12 October 1911.
1901 “The Bracondale Public Library has been offered a free site upon which to build its new reading room and library, and a subscription will be taken up to assist in erecting the building.” (Toronto Daily Star, 22 March 1901, p. 7). In May, it is announced that plans and specifications for the new public library on Christie Street are being prepared by the Toronto architectural firm of Gregg and Gregg.
1902 The Bracondale Public Library Board meets in the Library Rooms of the J.E. Edwards & Sons Tanning Factory in March. The library now has 1,500 volumes and is flourishing.
1904 The library and most of its 1,500 volumes destroyed by fire, 13 February, except for the volumes that had not yet been returned. They were housed in two rooms of J. E. Edwards & Sons, a leather goods manufacturer on Christie Street, corner of Victoria Street (now Tyrrell Avenue). Librarian William H. Garrett also was a cutter in the factory. The Bracondale Public Library Board meets on 23 February for a special meeting in the office of J.E. Edwards & Sons to arrange for the re-opening of the public library as the Board had been offered free use of the Wychwood Fire Hall at #6 Alcina Avenue by the owner Thos. Heron on 17 February. The library relocates there in the lower part of the Fire Hall.
1905 - 1909 From 1905 to 1909 the school is enlarged to 12 rooms and the Bracondale Public Library continues to be there. When Wychwood School is annexed to Toronto in 1909, the school’s name changes to Hillcrest School.
1905 Library board offered free quarters, 23 February, in new School Section No. 25, York Township, in the new 4 room Wychwood School opened on the east side of Bathurst Street, between Hillcrest (now Hilton) and Nina Avenues, May, by school trustees Messrs John Woods, Wm. Irvine & Thos. Heron. It was these 3 men who brought the new school to completion. Library board meets there for the first time, July. The library has 300 books after the fire.
1906 The Bracondale Public Library has grown to 1,400 volumes. The room loaned to the library is taken over as a classroom which now puts the library on only 6 shelves at the back of the room. If the librarian had not been a tall man he could not have reached the top shelf. The shelves are covered with muslin to keep the children at school from handling the books. Library membership has doubled during the last year. From 1905-1909 the school is enlarged to 12 rooms and the Bracondale Public Library continues to be there. When Wychwood School is annexed to Toronto in 1909, the school's name changes to Hillcrest School.
1909 Wychwood and Bracondale districts annexed to the City of Toronto 1 February. Assets of the Bracondale Public Library, including $56.10 cash on hand and 1,777 books, are transferred to the Toronto Public Library.
1911 A special and last meeting of the Bracondale Public Library Board is held in Hillcrest School on 12 October. The members present (Messrs Boggis, Webb & Holmes) long-time Library Board members but not a quorum, talk about amalgamation with the Toronto Puublic Library. It was considered advisable that the Toronto Public Library Board be allowed to run a branch library in the room in Hillcrest School and if any members of the Bracondale PUblic Library wished to establish a library outside the city limits they could apply to the Toronto Public Library Board for the books on the shelves of the Bracondale Public Library but that the disposition of these books be left in the hands of the Toronto Public Library Board. Wychwood Branch opened by Toronto Public Library in Hillcrest Public School, December. Chief librarian George Locke noted, "the books of this [Bracondale] Library have been repaired, rebound, accessioned, catalogued and supplemented by some new ones."
1912 Toronto Public Library opens Wychwood Branch in the old Bracondale Public Library room at Hillcrest Public School, Bathurst Street. After months of negotiations with the Board of Education, the Bracondale Public Library is recognized as having proprietary rights in the room dedicated for the purpose of a public library prior to annexation of the city. It is at this poing that the branch is renamed Wychwood Library after the house of Marmaduke Matthews who built his home in 1874 in Wychwood Park. Mr. Matthews was born near Wychwood Forest, Oxfordshire, England, hence the name Wychwood. Matthews was the founder of Wychwood Park as an artist colony in the 1880's.
1915 Carnegie Corporation of New York grants $50,000 to TPL to build 3 branches. Toronto's Carnegie Libraries - Wychwood . The land the current library is built on is purchased for $13,125. District lots 1, 2 and part of 3 at the northeast corner of Bathurst Street and Melgund Road.
1916 Opened 15 April. Eden Smith & Sons, Architects. Prototype design for Beaches and High Park branches, adapted from the English grammar school type of the 17th century. The ground floor is the children's library and used for community meetings. The main floor is for the adult collection and reading room. It was designed using the open shelf system with wooden bookshelves lining the walls where users could choose the books themselves. This was a departure from traditional library buildings, spearheaded by George H. Locke, Toronto's Chief Librarian.
1925 The Library's beautifully landscaped grounds with 276 varieties of plants, including an entire bank of rose bushes with 67 varieties, wins a silver cup award from the local Horticultural Society for the most attractive grounds in the public building category. The Library Board considered gardens to have an educational value so each of the plants had labels with their scientific as well as common names.
1976 Listed on Toronto Historical Board's Inventory of Heritage Properties, adopted by City Council, 18 August.
1978 Renovated, Phillip H. Carter, Architect. Addition of a program room and more space to the second floor as well as renovation to the minstrel gallery where access has been by ship's ladder only, into a mezzanine study area with stair access. Philip Carter wins an award of excellence from the "Canadian Architect Yearbook" for his design.
1992 Closed for barrier-free access improvements on 17 February. Reopened 15 March.
1995 Retrofitted, Robin Tharin Architects. Closed 18 November.
1996 Reopened 25 March.
2007 New hours, 8 January. Hours open per week increased from 58 to 62.

Meeting Rooms


For booking information call 416-397-5969.

Program Room

  • 864 sq. ft.
  • Seats 34 lecture style. Seats 12 classroom style. Fire Code Occupancy: 70.
  • Equipment:
    • chairs
    • coat hooks (wall mounted)
    • film projection screen (ceiling mounted)
    • tables
    • built-in tiered seating at the south end of the room
  • Program Room is beside the children's area on the ground floor.
  • Wheelchair accessible.

Directions


Closest major intersection Bathurst Street and St. Clair Ave. West. Located on east side of Bathurst Street, 1 block south of St. Clair Ave. West at Melgund Road.

Public Transit


Closest major intersection Bathurst Street and St. Clair Ave. West. Located on east side of Bathurst Street, 1 block south of St. Clair Ave. West at Melgund Road.


Upcoming Events

Tue, Aug 26 - 11:00 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.
Fri, Oct 10 - 2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Fri, Oct 24 - 2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Regular Programs

Fri, Aug 01 - 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Mon, Sep 15 - 2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Tue, Sep 16 - 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.

All Branch Programs & Events