Skip Navigation
Toronto Public Library Homepage
Bismarck Avenue entrance of Parker's Dye Works. 791 Yonge Street, Toronto. Open in full size

Bismarck Avenue entrance of Parker's Dye Works. 791 Yonge Street, Toronto.

Picture, 1908, English

Bismarck Avenue entrance of Parker's Dye Works. 791 Yonge Street, Toronto.

Picture, 1908, English

Notes

Parker’s Dye Works moved to Yorkville in 1876, with a large “steam dying and scouring works” on the east side of Yonge Street between today’s Asquith Avenue and Collier Street. Bismarck Avenue was originally known as Jarvis Street. The name was changed to Bismarck Avenue by City of Toronto Bylaw no. 1319, passed by City Council on 27 March 1883, after Yorkville was annexed to Toronto, to avoid duplication with the city street of the same name. At the request of local property owners, the name of Bismarck Avenue was changed to Asquith Avenue in August 1915 because of anti-German sentiment during the First World War.

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Printed ephemera. Postcard

Extent

5.5 x 3.5 inches

Branch

Toronto Reference Library

Location

Baldwin Collection

Call Number / Accession Number

PC 300