Skip Navigation
Toronto Public Library Homepage
Golden Lion Hotel, when residence of Rev. Pickett Open in full size

Golden Lion Hotel, when residence of Rev. Pickett

Picture, 1920,

Golden Lion Hotel, when residence of Rev. Pickett

Picture, 1920,

Notes

Lot 15, Con. 1 West. Yonge St. The Golden Lion Hotel around 1920, when it was the residence of Reverend T. W. Pickett, a retired Methodist minister. The Golden Lion Hotel was built by Thomas Sheppard in the 1820s. The inn’s namesake was a life-sized gilded statue of a lion that stood over the main doorway. The Golden Lion Hotel was the departure point of the rebel William Lyon Mackenzie’s dramatic escape on horseback to the United States. After Reverend Pickett took over the inn, weeknight religious services were held in the old bar room. He also moved the lion statue to the front porch. The Golden Lion Hotel was demolished in 1933.

Rights and Licenses

Public Domain

Medium

Negative

Extent

53 x 75 mm

Provenance

Toronto Public Library. North York Central Library. Canadiana Department. Gift of North York Historical Society.

Call Number / Accession Number

NYHS01080