Toronto Public Library Homepage

Weston

2 King Street, Toronto, ON
M9N 1K9

416-394-1016

Branch Hours
Day Opening Time Closing Time
Monday 10:00 a.m. 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday 12:30 p.m. 8:30 p.m.
Wednesday 10:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.
Thursday 12:30 p.m. 8:30 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.
Sunday Closed

Directions


Closest major intersection Lawrence Ave. West and Weston Road. Located on northeast corner of King Street and Weston Road.

Public Transit


TTC bus #89 from Keele subway station, 3 lights north of Lawrence Ave. at King Street.

Parking


Free - parking off King Street beside the library.


Map


Map to library branch

Features


General Features

Equipment for persons with disabilities

  • Computer(s) with screen magnification software (Zoomtext)

Technology

Collections

  • Adult Literacy Materials
  • Audiobooks on CD
  • Large Print Collection

Language

  • Small collection in Hindi (DVDs only), Spanish

Branch History


Year Details
1847 A library is in operation in Weston: "We are delighted to learn that the Village of Weston Library is producing happy results in that flourishing neighbourhood, and hope that similar institutions will be organized in every village in the Province, before the lapse of the present winter." British American Cultivator, vol. 3, New Series, January 1847, p. 8.
1858 Weston Mechanics' Institute is established, 8 February. It provides a library in the home of James Cruickshank (1830-1916), a wagon and carriage maker, who serves as Weston's first librarian. Weston Mechanics' Institute disappears from the public record in the 1860s.
1883 Weston Mechanics' Institute is included in plans that architect and builder William Tyrell completes on August 1, 1883 for a "Public Hall and Mechanics' Institute to be erected in Weston by the Council Therof" at the northwest corner of today's Weston Road and Little Avenue. Tyrrell was also the first reeve of Weston, incorporated as a village in 1881, taking effect on January 1, 1882.
1884 Weston Mechanics' Institute opens in a 28-by-15-foot room at the back of the ground floor of Weston Town Hall, also known as Dufferin Hall. The book collection that had been stored in the drug store of Dr. John Hathway Banks on Main Street (Weston Road) is transferred to the new premises, where a lending library and a reading room are provided. A second, adjacent room is allocated by Weston Council in 1886.
1895 Weston Public Library replaces the Weston Mechanics’ Institute, 1 May. In 1909, it becomes known as the Weston Public Library Association. Like its predecessor, it is a “not free” public library, supported by members’ fees and government grants, but not by the taxes of all local ratepayers.
1912 By a majority of 154 to 60, Weston voters agree on 1 January to a by-law establishing a rate-supported “free” public library board to take over the assets and property of the Weston Public Library Association. Bylaw 554 is passed by Weston Council on January 15.
1913 The Carnegie Corporation of New York agrees to give $10,000 to erect a Free Public Library building for Weston, 9 January. Like most Carnegie grants, it is given on the condition that the municipal council will maintain the library at a cost not less than $1,000 a year (10 percent of the grant) and provide a suitable site for the building. Weston voters had supported these conditions in two bylaws passed in May 1912.
1914 Weston Public Library opens at the northeast corner of Weston Road and King Street, 29 December. Lindsay and Brydon, Architects; Peter White Lindsay (1886-1953), the principal architect, is a Weston resident. The simple Arts-and-Crafts style library is enriched by stained-glass windows with names of authors (created by Robert McCausland Limited), and Art Nouveau mosaic panels (created by Italian Mosaic & Marble Company of Canada Ltd.), a unique feature among Carnegie libraries in Ontario. Toronto's Carnegie Libraries - Weston
1962 The library is closed for renovations during the summer, reopening in September. The renovations include a redesigned foyer and circulation desk, and a suspended acoustic ceiling and fluorescent lighting in the main room. Dunlop, Wardell, Matsui, Aitken, Architects.
1967 Weston Public Library Board ceases and is taken over by the York Public Library Board when the Town of Weston and the Township of York are amalgamated as the Borough of York, 1 January. The library becomes Weston Branch, York Public Library.
1971 Hours of service are extended with the branch opening on Wednesdays.
1977 Library board studies several site possibilities for the erection of a new Weston Branch.
1978 Bylaw 2971-78 is passed by the Borough of York Council on 24 April "to designate....Number 2 King Street, to be of historic and architectural value or interest" under the Ontario Heritage Act.
1979 A historical plaque “Weston Public Library” is presented by the Borough of York and the Ontario Ministry of Culture and Recreation, and placed outside the branch. Heritage plaques in Weston.
1981 The library is closed by August for a renovation and an expansion on the King Street site that will triple the building size from 4,300 to 12,000 square feet; the addition is designed to be compatible with the original building. Dunlop, Farrow & Aitken Architects.
1982 The branch reopens to the public, 11 September.
1998 Weston Branch becomes part of Toronto Public Library with municipal amalgamation, 1 January.
2005 The library is refurbished and new computer work stations are installed for the public. Closed 31 May to 15 June.
2014 The centennial of Weston Branch is celebrated, 22 November.

Meeting Rooms


For booking information call 416-397-5969.

Meeting Room

  • 851 sq. ft.
  • Seats 40 lecture style. Seats 24 classroom style. Fire Code Occupancy: 60.
  • Equipment:
    • projection screen
    • tables
    • VCR/DVD
    • whiteboard
  • Meeting Room is located on the basement level. Wheelchair accessible washrooms are located on the main floor and basement level.

Branch History


1847: A library is in operation in Weston: "We are delighted to learn that the Village of Weston Library is producing happy results in that flourishing neighbourhood, and hope that similar institutions will be organized in every village in the Province, before the lapse of the present winter." British American Cultivator, vol. 3, New Series, January 1847, p. 8.

1858: Weston Mechanics' Institute is established, 8 February. It provides a library in the home of James Cruickshank (1830-1916), a wagon and carriage maker, who serves as Weston's first librarian. Weston Mechanics' Institute disappears from the public record in the 1860s.

1883: Weston Mechanics' Institute is included in plans that architect and builder William Tyrell completes on August 1, 1883 for a "Public Hall and Mechanics' Institute to be erected in Weston by the Council Therof" at the northwest corner of today's Weston Road and Little Avenue. Tyrrell was also the first reeve of Weston, incorporated as a village in 1881, taking effect on January 1, 1882.

1884: Weston Mechanics' Institute opens in a 28-by-15-foot room at the back of the ground floor of Weston Town Hall, also known as Dufferin Hall. The book collection that had been stored in the drug store of Dr. John Hathway Banks on Main Street (Weston Road) is transferred to the new premises, where a lending library and a reading room are provided. A second, adjacent room is allocated by Weston Council in 1886.

1895: Weston Public Library replaces the Weston Mechanics’ Institute, 1 May. In 1909, it becomes known as the Weston Public Library Association. Like its predecessor, it is a “not free” public library, supported by members’ fees and government grants, but not by the taxes of all local ratepayers.

1912: By a majority of 154 to 60, Weston voters agree on 1 January to a by-law establishing a rate-supported “free” public library board to take over the assets and property of the Weston Public Library Association. Bylaw 554 is passed by Weston Council on January 15.

1913: The Carnegie Corporation of New York agrees to give $10,000 to erect a Free Public Library building for Weston, 9 January. Like most Carnegie grants, it is given on the condition that the municipal council will maintain the library at a cost not less than $1,000 a year (10 percent of the grant) and provide a suitable site for the building. Weston voters had supported these conditions in two bylaws passed in May 1912.

1914: Weston Public Library opens at the northeast corner of Weston Road and King Street, 29 December. Lindsay and Brydon, Architects; Peter White Lindsay (1886-1953), the principal architect, is a Weston resident. The simple Arts-and-Crafts style library is enriched by stained-glass windows with names of authors (created by Robert McCausland Limited), and Art Nouveau mosaic panels (created by Italian Mosaic & Marble Company of Canada Ltd.), a unique feature among Carnegie libraries in Ontario. Toronto's Carnegie Libraries - Weston

1962: The library is closed for renovations during the summer, reopening in September. The renovations include a redesigned foyer and circulation desk, and a suspended acoustic ceiling and fluorescent lighting in the main room. Dunlop, Wardell, Matsui, Aitken, Architects.

1967: Weston Public Library Board ceases and is taken over by the York Public Library Board when the Town of Weston and the Township of York are amalgamated as the Borough of York, 1 January. The library becomes Weston Branch, York Public Library.

1971: Hours of service are extended with the branch opening on Wednesdays.

1977: Library board studies several site possibilities for the erection of a new Weston Branch.

1978: Bylaw 2971-78 is passed by the Borough of York Council on 24 April "to designate....Number 2 King Street, to be of historic and architectural value or interest" under the Ontario Heritage Act.

1979: A historical plaque “Weston Public Library” is presented by the Borough of York and the Ontario Ministry of Culture and Recreation, and placed outside the branch. Heritage plaques in Weston.

1981: The library is closed by August for a renovation and an expansion on the King Street site that will triple the building size from 4,300 to 12,000 square feet; the addition is designed to be compatible with the original building. Dunlop, Farrow & Aitken Architects.

1982: The branch reopens to the public, 11 September.

1998: Weston Branch becomes part of Toronto Public Library with municipal amalgamation, 1 January.

2005: The library is refurbished and new computer work stations are installed for the public. Closed 31 May to 15 June.

2014: The centennial of Weston Branch is celebrated, 22 November.



Upcoming Events

Wed, Mar 18 - 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Regular Programs

Sat, Jan 31 - 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

All Branch Programs & Events